Start Slow, Finish Fast
That is advice I received from Hal Higdon, a veteran marathon runner. As a beginner runner, I ran my first half-marathon in April, and I am now training for my second one in October.
Last week, I ran 10 miles. At the beginning, I was too excited and started too fast. After five miles, I was supposed to settle into a steady and faster pace, but I had little left in the tank. I had to slow down, and I barely finished the 10 miles that morning.
I learned the lesson through experience: start slow, finish fast.
My children just finished their first week of school and are now in their second week. Grace is an overachiever and a perfectionist. After the first week, she was exhausted. She wanted to excel at everything, but she quickly realized she was not there yet. As a result, she felt overwhelmed.
I shared my running experience with her and said, “Start slow. Finish fast.” I continued, “You are new. Accept where you are. Start slow - slow and steady wins the race. You will get there - one step at a time. You will finish strong.”
I think the same principle applies to our spiritual journey, as well as to running and schoolwork: start slow, finish strong.
How often do we become overly excited and overcommit ourselves at the beginning, only to become exhausted and give up before we see the fruit?
For me personally, this past Sunday’s Rally Day was a great example. As I was meeting with our Christian Education team to plan, I began to feel overwhelmed. I did not share it with the group, but my expectations were too high. I wanted to do too many things at once: Outreach Sunday, inviting family and friends; Mission Sunday, highlighting different missions and ministries; Homecoming Sunday; and more.
But by God’s grace, I stepped back and let the team lead. And the result was beautiful in so many ways.
Although we had to change some of our outdoor plans because of the weather, our Sunday School had a wonderful time at Ryan’s Airpark. Our choir sang a very special song, “Join to Sing,” in loving memory of Sharon Stone. Many in our church family lingered after worship and enjoyed fellowship over ice cream. Don Loring captured many memorable moments at the photo booth.
Start slow. Finish strong.
What seemed like a simple and humble plan turned out to be a beautiful Sunday. Perhaps it was even better than what I had originally imagined.
We, as a church, are entering a new season. Our beginning may seem slow and humble. We may not have everything figured out yet. But if we walk and run together steadily, faithfully, and patiently, we will move forward. And by God’s grace, we will finish strong. Will you join us?
If you were not able to join us in person this past Sunday, you can watch our worship service on YouTube at the link below. Our services are also broadcast on Channel 26 on Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m. and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. You can also read this week’s message, “Do You Want to Get Well?” (John 5:1–9a), at the link below.
Sunday Service:
https://youtu.be/ETwCJGCwqww
Sunday Message:
https://324oldmainstreet.blogspot.com/2026/09/do-you-want-to-get-well-john-51-9a.html
Please also keep those on our prayer list in your prayers. In particular, please pray for David Beauchamp as he undergoes surgery this Wednesday. We also pray for Julie Kennie, Thomas Osborn, Norma Atwood, Jeannette Leupold, Don Loring, Gayle Kerr, and our homebound members.
Lastly, our Fall Bible Study on 1 Corinthians begins this Tuesday! Our in-person group meets at 12:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall, and our Zoom group meets at 6:30 p.m.
Zoom MeetingJoin Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 932 8625 1580Passcode: 045814
May our worship, fellowship, discipleship, outreach, and all that we do honor God. May we begin with the end in mind. Start slow. Finish strong.
In Christ's Love,
Pastor Victor
P.S. The next SUNEOS Gathering will be at Tugboats on September 27 at 5:00 p.m. This is a fun opportunity to socialize, enjoy fellowship, and support one of our local restaurants. There is a sign-up sheet in the Parish Hall. Please see Jackie Neumann if you have any questions.
P.S. The next SUNEOS Gathering will be at Tugboats on September 27 at 5:00 p.m. This is a fun opportunity to socialize, enjoy fellowship, and support one of our local restaurants. There is a sign-up sheet in the Parish Hall. Please see Jackie Neumann if you have any questions.

No comments:
Post a Comment