“I love to run.”
That is usually my answer when someone asks me, “What is your hobby?” Among many things that bring me joy—gardening, reading, playing guitar, playing chess, watching movies—running has a special place in my heart.
Why?
Because when I run, I often experience God’s presence. I think of Eric Liddell, the Olympic gold medalist who refused to run his race on Sunday because he believed that honoring God came first. He once said, “God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure.” Running was not just something he did; it was an act of worship.
For me, running has also become a spiritual practice. In the beginning, running was simply something Joyce and I enjoyed together. We often used to jog early in the morning. Those quiet moments became precious times of conversation and connection.
Then last fall, I read Haruki Murakami’s memoir, What I
Talk About When I Talk About Running. For Murakami, running and writing are
deeply connected. Both require daily discipline. Both cannot depend on
yesterday’s effort. They grow slowly, one step and one word at a time. He ran
marathons, ultramarathons, and triathlons. Through running, he trained not only
his body but also his mind. He chose the difficult path rather than the
shortcut. One of his principles was that he would not walk during a race, even
if he had to slow his pace.
As I reflected on his words, I realized that the same principle applies to my spiritual life, my preaching, and my ministry. Following Jesus is a daily journey. Spiritual growth happens neither through shortcuts nor overnight. It happens one faithful step at a time.
As I run, I often ask myself: “Who am I?” “Why am I doing
what I am doing?” “What is God calling me to become?”
At the finish line of life, one word I hope people who know me well will say is “congruence.” I want to pursue a life where my private life and public life are the same, where my words and actions match, and where my being and doing are connected. As a follower of Christ and as a pastor, I find my calling in the ministry of Jesus. Although Jesus did many things, Matthew summarizes his ministry in three ways:
“Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness among the people.” (Matthew 4:23)
I want to follow his example. First, I want to be a
pastor who faithfully preaches. I want to be a faithful interpreter who
connects the biblical world with our world today. I want to honor the Word of
God and not simply speak about it, but first seek to live it. Each week, I am
given the gift of time to prepare and proclaim God’s Word, and I want to use
that gift well.
Second, I want to be a pastor who makes disciples. A good leader must first be a good follower. Before helping others become disciples of Jesus, I must continue becoming a disciple myself. I want to be a faithful steward of the 3 T’s God has entrusted to me: time, talents, and treasure.
Third, I want to be a pastor who cares for God’s sheep. I cannot heal every sickness as Jesus did, but I can visit the sick, encourage the lonely, listen to those who are hurting, and feed those who are hungry. I believe these are also expressions of Christ’s healing love.
For me, following Jesus and running are deeply connected. Both require faithfulness.
Both require endurance. Both require taking the next step. So today, I run, not
to prove myself, but to remember my calling. One step at a time. One day at a
time. Would you join me on this journey?
May we continue to run the race of faith together, keeping our eyes on Jesus, “the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” (Hebrews 12:2)
In Christ’s Love,
Pastor Victor

No comments:
Post a Comment