*Parsonage Thank-You Gathering (Aug 21, 2026)
“Pastor, I know you are busy, but…”
I hear this quite often. I used to like being seen as a “busy” pastor. But one day, I was struck by something one of my mentors, Eugene Peterson, said. He said something like this:
“You are busy mainly for two reasons. First, you are busy because you are vain. People often consider being busy a sign that they are important. Second, you are busy because you are lazy. You neglect to define your calling, identity, and priorities because that is hard work. Instead, you simply work according to the job description others have written for you and the expectations they have placed upon you.”
Ouch. Point taken.
Since then, my motto has been to become an “unbusy” pastor. I know Jesus sometimes did not even have time to eat. Yet he was never in a hurry. Can you imagine Jesus running here and there? He always walked three miles per hour. He met one person at a time. He healed one person at a time. And on the cross, he was able to say, “It is finished.” John Wesley famously said, “Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry, because I never undertake any more work than I can go through with perfect calmness of spirit.”
So, how can we live with a healthy sense of urgency, use our time wisely, and yet not become overwhelmed by too many tasks? For me, personally, and I am certainly not always successful, I try to practice this simple daily rhythm: Inward. Upward. Outward.
Inward. I begin my day by praying the Psalms and journaling. I pray, “Search me, O God.” But I try not to keep digging and digging. I do not want self-reflection to become unhealthy introspection. Instead, I ask: “Lord, what are you showing me about myself?” “Lord, help me see myself truthfully.” My self-reflection needs to lead to self-forgetfulness. Inward to upward. I look honestly at myself, but then I look to Christ.
Outward. Around midday, usually after lunch, I pause for five to ten minutes. I step back, take a breath, and pray: “Lord Jesus, I belong to you. Show me whom I can love.” Then I intentionally notice the people around me. A church member. My wife. One of my children. A neighbor. A stranger. Someone who may be lonely. At the end of the day, before going to bed, I pray: “Lord Jesus, I am yours. I commend my spirit into your hands.”
And the next day, I do it again. Sometimes this rhythm feels painfully slow. But slowly and surely, I believe we can become “unbusy” Christians, less focused on ourselves and more attentive to others; less concerned with proving ourselves and more concerned with loving God and our neighbor; becoming more like Christ and making him known.
I already see quite a few faithful “outward” people among us. I would say Jane Peabody was one of them. Jane lived a full and rich life and peacefully passed away this past Sunday, August 23, surrounded by her loving family. Please keep Pete and the entire family in your prayers. Please also continue to pray for our church family, including Don Loring, Norma Atwood, Jeannette Leupold, Gayle Kerr, Julie Kennie, and our homebound members.
We continue our journey through the Gospel of John each week as a church. If you are not able to join us in person this Sunday, you can watch our worship service on YouTube at the link below. Our services are also broadcast on Channel 26 on Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m. and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. You can also read this week’s message, “Our God Is Able” (John 2:13–25), at the link below.
Worship Service:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvYvrZqsqXY&t=5s
This Week’s Message:
https://324oldmainstreet.blogspot.com/2026/08/our-god-is-able-john-213-25.html
So, will you join me?
Inward. Upward. Outward.
Let us keep walking with Jesus, one day at a time, one person at a time, until we become more like Christ and less occupied with ourselves.
Have a blessed week ahead. I love you all.
In Christ's love,
Have a blessed week ahead. I love you all.
In Christ's love,
Pastor Victor

No comments:
Post a Comment